Monday, November 18, 2013

Paleo Mini pumpkin pies!

Oh my goodness!! I was so pumped when I discovered this recipe on Pinterest that I had to try it right away!(Credit: 
http://thepaleomama.com/2013/09/pumpkin-pie-in-2-minutes/ ) I did alter it a bit though, especially in cooking time. 


This is all you need for the crust. Coconut, almond flour (aka ground almonds), coconut oil (or lard if you prefer, but coconut oil adds a lot of health to the recipe) and a pinch of coconut sugar (or brown sugar). Also make sure you are buying unsweetened coconut. Sweetened coconut is not only pointless but has way more calories and chemicals that don't help your body at all. 


I started by melting 1/2 a cup of coconut oil. (Keeping in mind that this is going to make six servings of pie)
I then began alternately adding tablespoons of coconut and ground almonds until I reached a stirable yet thick consistency. 
I used about 10 tbsp of each, coconut and almond flour. But depending on the coarseness of your coconut (mine is quite fine) you may need more or less of it. Start with eight tablespoons of each and work from there. 
Next I divided the mixture and pressed it into three ramekins. Then, if you want, sprinkle it with some coconut sugar. I think it needed this since the crust is not sweetened at all. When I would eat a piece of this pie, I could tell the crust wasn't sweet when I hadn't done this step. 
Next are your pie ingredients... Yup! That's seriously it!! No evaporated milk, or milk replacers necessary. Just goodness.
Measure out roughly 1/3 cup of honey (you can see I take measurements Farley loosely) and 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin purée. 
I like to combine the honey, pumpkin and 3 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice first before adding the eggs, since I use creamed honey. It's just easier that way. 
Next stir in your eggs. Your filling is done now!

Divide it between your three ramekins, and pop each one in the microwave for 3-5 minutes (until it isn't wet in the middle and feels a bit firmer to the touch)
Ta da!

But what pumpkin pie is complete without whip cream? Don't be fooled by the dairy free lifestyle. We can still indulge. 
To make coconut whip cream, you need to refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk for at least 12 hours. (if I am in a hurry I do 1-2 hours in the freezer, but DONT forget about it!)

It should be very stiff...
When you open the can you will notice there are two parts. The cream and the water. If there aren't two parts to your coconut milk, then unfortunately you bought a cheaper can and it is mostly water. This only works with good quality coconut milk. (Tip: you shouldn't be able to hear the milk shake when you shake the can in the store. If you can, it's not premium stuff)
So scoop out the hard stuff and drain (save for smoothies) the liquid. 

Add whatever you would normally add to your whip cream: in my case, vanilla, sugar and pumpkin pie spice. You could omit the sugar or use stevia even. I wouldn't use a liquid sugar like maple syrup or honey though. 
Next you whip it with an electric mixer for 2-4 minutes until you are happy with the texture. It doesn't stiffen the way whip cream does, but stays more soft in texture. 
Top your pie and enjoy!
So tasty. I think it actually tastes better than store bought pies!

I like to store these in the freezer since I often have to bring. My own dessert to functions (being dairy and soy free) 

Cut each piece in half, top with whipped cream and put on a pan or container to freeze. Once frozen you can wrap it in Saran Wrap since the whip freezes solid. Then just take one out and unwrap it when you need it. Let it thaw on the counter or just microwave it for 12 seconds. 

Paleo pumpkin pies:
Crust:
1/2 cup coconut oil
8-10 tbsp unsweetened coconut
8-10 tbsp ground almonds
1 pinch of coconut sugar (opt)
Pie:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
1/3 cup honey
3 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs (free range are better)

Melt coconut oil, and alternately add almond meal and coconut until you get a soft oatmeal cookie dough-like texture. Divide and press into three ramekins. Sprinkle with coconut sugar if desired. 

Combine all ingredients for pie filling and divide into the three ramekins. Microwave each one on high for 3-5 minutes until the centre appears dry and firm. 

Top with coconut whip cream. 


Coconut whip cream:
1 premium can coconut milk-chilled
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp white sugar

Chill coconut milk well. scoop out the hard top layer and whip with remaining ingredients for 2-4 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment