Thursday, October 31, 2013

Paleo protein bites

So these are addicting... I must say... Very healthy though so it's all good!! Part of the reason I made this is my never-ending appetite since I started lactating... It's just rediculous... But this awesome snack isn't just for nursing mothers!! This one packs a man-sized punch of protein and a hippie sized portion of fiber and goodness! :) 

It all started with a Pinterest post... Which I can't get to since Pinterest won't let me log in. So I can't even give'em credit. Oh well. I changed it so much this one is definitely an original recipe!! (Stupid Pinterest....)

This recipe can be made into bars, bite-sized balls, or a crumbly mess you eat like nuts. (My personal favourite)

This is just to show you what I used. Nothing fancy. (And I ended up not using the dates since mine got too thick). The only thing from a health food store is my protein powder (and if you aren't avoiding dairy and soy you can buy this stuff anywhere too). Everything else is superstore (loblaws) or bulk barn. That bottle of vodka is actually home made vanilla. (I had to use store bought though, because this batch of vanilla is still infusing till December... I like it good and strong!). But I encourage you to make your own vanilla! It's just vanilla beans (Costco or bulk barn) and vodka. Cut your beans in half length-wise and put them in the bottle. Give it a shake every few days or weeks and use it 2 months later. 
ITS NOT TOO LATE TO MAKE SOME FOR CHRISTMAS!

Anyway on to this recipe! This makes a great breakfast in a hurry, work out recovery or a great carry-me-till-supper snack! It's awesome for preventing cravings. 

First you need to choose a healthy nut butter. I love using almond butter for cooking. If you have to use something unsweetened anyway, may as well make it one of the healthier ones out there! If you can't have nuts use sunflower or sesame seed butters. These are also healthy options.  I like to buy mine from bulk barn because they keep it churned and you don't get that oil slick on the top that is always in the grocery store containers of natural nut butters. I also like to make fresh nut butters in my blender when I have time, energy and nuts. Either way I store it in the fridge and that seems to prevent separation in the butter. I hate trying to stir that stuff up since the almond butter is so dense. And you want to save all that omega three oil cause it's good for you!! I always spill it trying to stir it in. 

So use 1 cup almond butter and 1 cup maple syrup. You could use honey here if you don't have access to maple syrup, however I tried this with honey and didn't like it. The honey taste was very over powering. I didn't enjoy it. Perhaps agave nectar or another natural syrup would work if you don't have maple syrup. 


Anyway, warm those two up a bit so you can stir them together. At first they don't mix well and it almost looks like the almond butter will stay as little curds in the maple syrup but keep stiring and it turns into a nice smooth paste!
Next I added my fine powders. 3 tbsp cacao powder (this is an un-processed cocoa that has more antioxidants and less caffeine or allergins like dairy and soy). You can use cocoa too or even carob powder. And 2 scoops of protein powder. I don't think I would normally add this since there is plenty of natural protein from the almonds, but I just happened to have this vegan organic sprouted grain and legume based protein that is raw and fantastic ( vita health... Check it!)

Stir this up and gaze longingly into that fudgy bowl. Take a big spoonful and eat it guilt-free my friends! (Ok... It's still got calories... But at least they are smarter calories!)

Next come the oats. I used three cups but I would do more like 2-2 1/2 next time since I like adding extra seeds and nuts. You will need to mix with your hands at this point as if you are making hamburger patties. It's fun. Take another bite! :)
Next add 1-1 1/2 cups of extras. I used some 71% coca chocolate chips from superstore (in their gluten free aisle), sunflower and pumpkin seeds. If I hadn't used so many oats I also would have added 1/2 a cup of hemp seeds instead of 1/2 a cup of oats. A bit more protein there too. You can also add flax meal or chia seeds for more protein power!  This is a very flexible recip that way!
Now you can choose how to end yours. You can press it into a pan like this, chill it and cut it into bars. 

Or you can make it into little patties/balls for smaller portions,
Or (my personal favourite) just throw the crumbly mess into a ziplock in your freezer and take out a cup full when you want a snack to munch on!

There you have it! I love this one because it is so flexible and open to interpretation! I added 2 tbsp of brewers yeast to mine for an added antioxidant punch and because it supposedly boosts a mother's milk supply. This kid's gotta eat you know!! 

Paleo Protein bars-balls-bites-bits

1 cup natural almond butter
1 cup maple syrup (or honey, but it is a strong flavour in this recipe)
2 scoops protein powder (optional)
3 tbsp raw cacao (or cocoa)
2 Tbsp brewers yeast (optional)
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups healthy add-ins (seeds, nuts, fibers, brans, meals , raisins, dark chocolate etc...)

Heat syrup and butter until warm and mixable. Stir together. Add cocoa, protein (if using) and yeast (if using). Stir together. Add oats and mix with hands when it gets too hard to use a spoon.  Choose add ins and add to mix. (I used sunflower/pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate chips). 

Option 1: press into baking dish, chill and cut into bars
Option 2: form into balls or patties and chill
Option 3: pour crumbly mix into a container and use as desired. 

Store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment